[SGVLUG] How to write an /effective/ warning message...

Emerson, Tom (*IC) Tom.Emerson at wbconsultant.com
Tue Feb 19 15:06:56 PST 2008

Through an odd set of links, I arrived at this page:

http://www.discourse.net/archives/2008/02/mozy_understands_how_to_write_
warnings.html

Read that page first for the laugh, but then take a look at their site
-- it's an online backup service that is using a bit of "Miracle on 34th
street" style advertising -- they /say/ you don't need to use their
services, after all, you've got choices...

[from http://mozy.com/home]

You're Free To Choose

Alternatives to MozyHome

    * Burn a new CD or DVD every Sunday night and store it at your
brother-in-law's office.
    * Pay $200/year for an online backup service that uses old, mediocre
software.
    * Buy a $200 external hard drive and hope your office doesn't burn
down.
    * Do nothing and don't worry about backup. (We suggest closing your
eyes, plugging your ears and repeating "I'm in my happy place, I'm in my
happy place.")
    * Run a cron job of rsync, gzip and mcrypt piped over ssh to your
friend's server over his DSL line.

I don't see a problem with that last suggestion, do you? ;)

[as you might guess, Linux isn't a supported platform -- kinda makes
that last suggestion rather ironic as you'd have to install linux in
order to do that in the first place...]