[SGVLUG] Meeting Thur 2/14, plus some SCALE notes..

Christopher Smith x at xman.org
Mon Feb 11 16:51:41 PST 2008

Shang-Lin Eileen Chen wrote:
> I, too, enjoyed this year's SCALE. I went on Friday to the Women in
> Open Source conference and on Saturday. Some of the talks were great,
> others less so, but I made a couple of good networking connections.
> I'm looking forward to the notes and possibly videos from the talks I
> didn't attend.
>

>     Public transportation - TOOK forever, or at least
>     that was my experience on Sat. The reason.. the
>     wait for the Westin Shuttle service at LAX. On Sunday
>     I took the Hilton shuttle and walked...
>     (Gold line to Union Station, and then the LAX flyer
>     ran $5.25 and was quick enough.. ) Next time the
>     trick maybe to take the thrifty car rental shuttle
>     (adjacent to the Westin)
>

> That was also my experience when I took the Westin shuttle from the
> airport on Friday. On Saturday I took the 439 bus from Union Station.
> It was about the same amount of time as the Flyaway+shuttle, but I
> didn't have to wait a long time for the bus (good timing, I guess).
So, I actually took my bike. You can take them on the subway, so you can
avoid being stuck waiting for transport to the subway, though I'm not
sure if they let you take bikes on the LAX shuttle. Biking is
surprisingly efficient, even from where I was up in north america, and
I'd highly recommend it for anyone with access to a hotel room so you
can clean up.

--Chris