[SGVLUG] Distro Show & Tell

Emerson, Tom (*IC) Tom.Emerson at wbconsultant.com
Fri Dec 19 15:49:24 PST 2008

> -----Original Message----- Of Rod Morison
>
> What's the distinction here between Linux servers vs desktop/GUI
> systems? If the latter, what about the Gnome vs KDE split?

True, each "desktop" will have their own peculiar quirks for things like
file managers or other "utility" programs, but programs such as
openoffice, thunderbird, or firefox should look and act the same or
nearly so despite different display managers [desktop environments]

For those that run a "pure server", do you run them "in text mode" 100%
of the time, or do you occaisionally fire up an X-server to manage
(presumably complex) configurations? (or a hybrid solution, such as
using a web-based configurator so your "front end" is graphical, but the
server proper doesn't actually host X applications)  [though, I suppose
"technically", you could run an X /client/ "on the server" with the
:DISPLAY variable redirected back to your workstation/laptop via an ssh
tunnel or straight networking...]

> If there's interest in server show-n-tell, I run [...]
> Ubuntu 8, primarily because the combination of Postfix, Cyrus
> IMAP/POP, Amavisd+ClamAV+SpamAssassin works with somewhat less hacking

> on Ubuntu,

"how I manage my server" is /always/ a good topic for this group :)

An even better topic is "how I migrated from
<proprietary-package-whatever> to <free/open-source equivalent>" --
including any pitfalls or bonuses encountered.  [this is to give anyone
and everyone out there ideas for what they could talk about...]