[SGVLUG] Distro Show & Tell

Rod Morison rod at morison.biz
Fri Dec 19 12:38:44 PST 2008

What's the distinction here between Linux servers vs desktop/GUI
systems? If the latter, what about the Gnome vs KDE split? That can make
a big diff in apps, look & feel:
http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/kdegnome, i.e.,
http://www.kubuntu.org/ vs http://www.ubuntu.com/. "Distro" show-n-tell
may need a little refinement, esp to fit into a single evening, I think.

If there's interest in server show-n-tell, I run Ubuntu & OpenSuse
servers. Early this year I migrated my mail servers from OpenSuse 10 to
Ubuntu 8, primarily because the combination of Postfix, Cyrus IMAP/POP,
Amavisd+ClamAV+SpamAssassin works with somewhat less hacking on Ubuntu,
see http://morison.biz/technotes/articles/41 (it was much more work on
Suse 10). I could speak to this installation wrt Suse vs Ubuntu server.

Rod