[SGVLUG] recommend a hosting provider

Charles N Wyble charles at thewybles.com
Mon Apr 21 19:10:52 PDT 2008

Matthew Gallizzi wrote:
> Charles,
>
> I'm not sure what you're talking about :/.

Consider yourself fortunate then. :)  Many people I know have
experienced nothing but problems with dream host, and they are legendary
for massive outages over long periods of time.

> I've been with Dreamhost for several years and I monitor my website 24/7.

Cool. What do you use for monitoring? What type of monitoring do you do?
Are you using a single monitor host or a distributed architecture such
as pingdom or Keynote?

> I rarely have downtime, not even an hour a month.

Excellent.

> Sounds like some bad luck. Not sure what you're talking about with
> "get what you pay for" either... most hosts are about $10/mo or so.  :/

I have never personally hosted with dreamhost, even with many many
offers of free hosting from various conferences etc. I use vpsland.com
who provides me with CPU/RAM/drive space/bandwidth and I do everything
else.  Not sure if Dreamhost offers virtual slice hosting or not.  I pay
15.00 a month for this service, and a dollar a month for extra IP
addresses.

> Zack, MySQL performance is good. I haven't had any issues. If you do
> have issues, they can move you to another SQL server that may be quicker.

Yes that is how they solve a lot of their problems. Reactive load
balancing based on customer complaints, instead of using something like
http://lbvm.sourceforge.net/ to dynamically allocate resources based on
real time data.