[SGVLUG] recommend a hosting provider

Matthew Gallizzi matthew.gallizzi at gmail.com
Tue Apr 22 17:46:49 PDT 2008

Responding below -

On Mon, Apr 21, 2008 at 7:10 PM, Charles N Wyble <charles at thewybles.com>
wrote:

> Matthew Gallizzi wrote:
>
> > Charles,
> >
> > I'm not sure what you're talking about :/.
> >

> Consider yourself fortunate then. :)  Many people I know have experienced
> nothing but problems with dream host, and they are legendary for massive
> outages over long periods of time.

I'll be darn. I've heard nothing but good things. *shrug*

>  I've been with Dreamhost for several years and I monitor my website 24/7.
> >

> Cool. What do you use for monitoring? What type of monitoring do you do?
> Are you using a single monitor host or a distributed architecture such as
> pingdom or Keynote?

Nagios, no need ATM for distributed.

> Sounds like some bad luck. Not sure what you're talking about with "get
> what you pay for" either... most hosts are about $10/mo or so.  :/
>
> I have never personally hosted with dreamhost, even with many many offers
> of free hosting from various conferences etc. I use vpsland.com who
> provides me with CPU/RAM/drive space/bandwidth and I do everything else.
>  Not sure if Dreamhost offers virtual slice hosting or not.  I pay 15.00 a
> month for this service, and a dollar a month for extra IP addresses.

They have some stuff but I haven't looked into it.

> Zack, MySQL performance is good. I haven't had any issues. If you do have
> issues, they can move you to another SQL server that may be quicker.

Yes that is how they solve a lot of their problems. Reactive load balancing
> based on customer complaints, instead of using something like
> http://lbvm.sourceforge.net/ to dynamically allocate resources based on
> real time data.

TBH, I'm not exactly sure how they manage all their stuff... and yes, I
would agree that simply moving someone to another server probably isn't the
best solution, but after I did that I haven't had any other issues. What I
like is I don't have to worry about anything, it just works :) I have little
to no downtime, speeds are quick, service is good, etc. But it sounds like
others are not having as much good luck as I am, strange.

--
Matthew Gallizzi