[SGVLUG] OT - beer cooler out runs van...

Sean O'Donnell sean at seanodonnell.com
Thu Oct 18 16:25:58 PDT 2007

Chris Smith wrote:
> There are multiple solutions to this that I've discovered.
>
> 1) The best solution is nspluginwrapper. It can be set up to let you
> wrap 32-bit plugins, effectively "thunking" between the 64-bit plugin
> interface and a 32-bit plugin. Leverages X's ability to have a process
> write to a window owned by a different process.
>
> 2) The second best solution is to just run a 32-bit browser. Just
> install 32-bit compatibility libraries and you are good to go.
>
> 3) Set up a 32-bit chroot and run your browser from there. You need to
> do "xhost local:localhost" so your X knows to treat the chroot as
> being local.
>
> --Chris

Thanks for the suggestions, Chris!

It's been something that has irked me ever since rebuilding my
workstation, but I just gave-up on due to time and priorities, and utter
distaste for (any/all) 3rd-party proprietary browser plug-ins.

As a developer, I don't want to write code that may not work 'as-is' in
a web browser. As a user, I don't want to view sites/pages that use
embeded objects that require me to install more than just the web browser.

Embeded objects need to be eradicated from HTML and HTTP entirely, imo.

Flash, if it is so god-like and powerful, should attain it's own
protocol, which would (possibly) open doorways to many great
'innovative' flash-based applications, while leaving the '2D' web alone,
as it should be (imo). But what do I know... =p