[SGVLUG] Let's get Chris Smith to present.. and why does Yahoo want more bandwidth?

matti mathew_2000 at yahoo.com
Thu May 31 18:50:30 PDT 2007

> That said, if the group has a topic they'd like me to talk about, I'd
> be
> happy to do a presentation if I thought I could do the topic justice.
>
> --Chris

Hi Chris!

OK! I've got a topic...

why does yahoo require more bandwidth than
some others for it's mail and group services?

curiously I discovered this issue recently...

recently a site had a change of their
internet line, and switched over to DSL..
oddly I was able to access various sites
successfully, but yahoo mail gave me connection
problems.

Odd. I tried gmail - suspecting SSL related issues
(maybe the new firewall was blocking?)
nope.. looked good.

did a download test and discovered I was
getting 600Kbps down, and 6-12Kbps up!!!

6-12K up!! ouch.

checked the cable I ran.. nope..
turned out to be the Router
(netgear)!

Wow, what happened? (I can't seem
to find any setting gone bad.. so I
am wondering what broke). Now I am
in the process of changing out the
router to another one.

SO....

now the interesting question....

WHY does yahoo mail need a better
connection (upstream) than say.. gmail???

matti