[SGVLUG] Youmail

Robert Cole robert.cole at support4linux.com
Fri May 18 11:05:34 PDT 2007

Emerson, Tom (*IC) wrote:
>> -----Original Message----- Of Robert Cole
>>
>> Hi guys, long time no talk just been lurking.
>>
>> I went to work for a new company called Youmail, Inc. and
>> discovered a new service I didn't know about at
>> http://www.youmail.com
>>
>> Yes I do work here and all but I thought this might be of
>> interest to my fellow linux guys and gals.
>>

> Heh heh heh -- I get the impression this is a veiled sales bit, but I'll
> let it slide since it isn't overly egregious [err, I think that's the
> word...]
>
> BUT...

Hey at least I admitted to working here :) At its a free service so
there isn't any selling right? :) Actually we just need more people to
try it out and give feedback and while we sorta still consider this a
beta product we are mostly looking for feedback on ease of use and
feature requests more than bugs at this point so we just opened this up
past the friends and family point and trying to get even more feedback.
>> This system is completely developed and run
>> on linux systems. In fact the new system that is currently in
>> production are run on a network and servers I installed.
>>

> You /know/ now I'm gonna ask: so, when will you be doing a presentation
> on it?

You need to sign up and check it out and I think you will see that there
really isn't anything to give a presentation on because its very
straight forward. :) But I have no problem giving such a talk as these
servers I created are Redhat Enterprise 5 and there have been a few
challenges using a distro so new. :)

> Though I must admit, offhand I don't think of a basic
> server-farm-installation as being a "hot topic" for our meetings, at
> least, not at the nuts-and-bolts level (and, really, what else is there
> to say about an installation like that?  Most likely, "it just works"
> and you're done...)
>
> HOWEVER...
>
> As someone else just asked "does this run under Asterisk" (and you
> answered not at the moment, but not unforeseeable) I'm curious about how
> Linux ends up being the killer platform for this type of application.
> That might make a neat presentation.

I could certainly talk to some of this I guess but would probably need
to bring one of the developers with me but I think the bottom line comes
down to the programmers are already familiar with programming linux apps
and prefer it so it was a natural choice. :)

Robert