[SGVLUG] The Day After an Install (Post Install To Do's -SomeMeeting Topics)

Emerson, Tom (*IC) Tom.Emerson at wbconsultant.com
Fri May 18 11:25:45 PDT 2007

-----Original Message----- Of John Jefferson Lowry IV
>On 5/18/07, Emerson, Tom (*IC) <Tom.Emerson at wbconsultant.com> wrote:
>> OK, day 1 with my new laptop: re-install again...
>>
>> It seems I forgot to set up a partition for "suspend-to-disk" (a.k.a.
>> "hibernation")  Does anyone know offhand how I should size it?  [same
as
>> physical RAM is the most intuitively obvious, but I noticed that the
>> "suspend" process also tries to "shrink memory" -- does it perform a
>> compression pass when saving to disk?]
>
> IT depends on which version of suspend is being used. The Suspend2
project,
> which is not in the mainline kernel yet, will use LZF compression (I
think)
> It has neat feautre like encryption and a GUI for when it does its
thing.
> http://www.suspend2.net/.

Well, as it turns out, I think I oversized it

Partitioning, especially something like this, takes quite a bit of
forethought.  I ended up "aborting" the re-partitioning about half a
dozen times and restarting  [fortunately, the partition-table-rewrite
doesn't happen until you actually start the install...]

In the end, I had to wipe out the entire "LVM" partition and rebuild it.
I figured I would put the "hibernation" section in the highest-numbered
tracks [least used?] so noting that the LVM partition was 93.xxx GB in
size, I told SuSE's partitioner to make the new LVM partition "+90GB"
[the "+" tells the partitioner to "figure it out for me" so I don't have
to know the exact "last track number" for said partition]  I chose only
90 as I didn't want to end up in the case that the reported 3GB at the
end of the disk wasn't really 3GB (in other words, had I selected 91GB,
it's possible that the presumed 2GB remaining would only be 1.99GB,
which would be disasterous for a hibernation partition]

So, it's starting now -- should be ready right about lunchtime... (and
then I get to play with Xen...)