[SGVLUG] The Day After an Install (Post Install To Do's - SomeMeeting Topics)

John Jefferson Lowry IV johnlowry at gmail.com
Fri May 18 10:51:27 PDT 2007

On 5/18/07, Emerson, Tom (*IC) <Tom.Emerson at wbconsultant.com> wrote:

> > -----Original Message----- Of Greg Stark
> >
> > I feel BJ has made a valid point.  So here is a quick pass at
> > "The Day After an Install".  I would like to hear what are
> > some of the first things you do to your box (it's the little
> > things that count.)
>
> OK, day 1 with my new laptop: re-install again...
>
> It seems I forgot to set up a partition for "suspend-to-disk" (a.k.a.
> "hibernation")  Does anyone know offhand how I should size it?  [same as
> physical RAM is the most intuitively obvious, but I noticed that the
> "suspend" process also tries to "shrink memory" -- does it perform a
> compression pass when saving to disk?]

IT depends on which version of suspend is being used. The Suspend2 project,
which is not in the mainline kernel yet, will use LZF compression (I think).
It has neat feautre like encryption and a GUI for when it does its thing.
http://www.suspend2.net/.

The is also swsup in the mainline kernel which works consistanly, but does
not have as many bells and whistles.

BTW: the installer for SuSE 10.2 had some interesting disk setup

--
John Lowry