[SGVLUG] The Day After an Install (Post Install To Do's - SomeMeeting Topics)

Emerson, Tom (*IC) Tom.Emerson at wbconsultant.com
Fri May 18 10:05:40 PDT 2007

> -----Original Message----- Of Greg Stark
>
> I feel BJ has made a valid point.  So here is a quick pass at
> "The Day After an Install".  I would like to hear what are
> some of the first things you do to your box (it's the little
> things that count.)

OK, day 1 with my new laptop: re-install again...

It seems I forgot to set up a partition for "suspend-to-disk" (a.k.a.
"hibernation")  Does anyone know offhand how I should size it?  [same as
physical RAM is the most intuitively obvious, but I noticed that the
"suspend" process also tries to "shrink memory" -- does it perform a
compression pass when saving to disk?]

BTW: the installer for SuSE 10.2 had some interesting disk setup
options, including "LVM based".  When you choose this option, it creates
a small 70-ish meg "/boot" partition, then "the rest" as an LVM
partition.  Within the partition, it created three basic volumes: /,
/home, and <swap>

>  Or if your migrating by doing a fresh
> install.  How do you get your "stuff" over into the new OS
> (How did you skin that cat!)

Since this is a brand new machine, I'll be hooking them up with a cheap
100mbit switch/hub and then probably set the old /home partition as an
NFS export and just cp the files...

I also have an 80GB stand-alone disk drive which I could use as a place
to hold a tar/tgz file (or, since my old laptop only has a 30gb drive,
make an "image" copy with dd and then "mount" it via loopback and copy
as appropriate...)  [come to think of it, I also just bought an 80GB
iPod, could do the same thing with that I suppose...]

Tom