[SGVLUG] Re: My Debian upgrade (boots faster)

David Lawyer dave at lafn.org
Thu May 3 03:47:49 PDT 2007

On Wed, May 02, 2007 at 10:03:05AM -0700, David Lawyer wrote:

> I just found a bug in the new version of the vim editor.  It doesn't
> seem to edit right inside of [brackets].  When I single space from
> left to right  using the -> key or the "l" key it jumps to the ] from
> the space before the [.  That is, it skips over the contents enclosed
> by the brackets.  Then after ] it skips back to the character after [.
> Finally at the end of the contents inside [] it jumps to [.  So it's
> like [ and ] have been interchanged.  By using Debian "testing" and
> reporting bugs you help remove bugs from upgraded software (unless
> someone else has already reported the bug).  Drat!  It's doing the
> same with ( and ).  There may be a way to stop this via a config.
> file.
			David Lawyer
Please ignore the above, since I've found that vim works fine on my
computer console.  It only has the above bug on my 24-year-old dumb
terminal but prior to upgrading worked fine on the terminal.  So it's
a software bug in the dumb terminal interface that almost no one else
will likely experience.	 Well I do have some company.  I just got
email last night from someone in Slovakia trying to get an even older
dumb terminal (made in Poland) to work right.