[SGVLUG] Re: My Debian upgrade (boots faster)

David Lawyer dave at lafn.org
Thu May 3 03:47:02 PDT 2007

On Wed, May 02, 2007 at 12:42:13AM -0700, David Lawyer wrote:
(snip; that he upgraded using Debian "testing" version)
> One thing that I am very dissatisfied with is the slow booting, taking
> a few minutes on a Pentium I.  I was going to track down the bugs
> (or inefficient programming) causing this but never found the time to
> do it.

Good news.  As I wrote this I was also downloading the 2.6.18 kernel
to replace my 2.6.17.  Most of the "stops" during booting using 2.6.17
are gone, so 2.6.18 boots almost twice as fast.  It still takes a
couple of minutes and takes about twice as long as the compact 2.2
kernel that will not boot anymore for me due to lack of support from
upgraded files.

I just found a bug in the new version of the vim editor.  It doesn't
seem to edit right inside of [brackets].  When I single space from
left to right  using the -> key or the "l" key it jumps to the ] from
the space before the [.  That is, it skips over the contents enclosed
by the brackets.  Then after ] it skips back to the character after [.
Finally at the end of the contents inside [] it jumps to [.  So it's
like [ and ] have been interchanged.  By using Debian "testing" and
reporting bugs you help remove bugs from upgraded software (unless
someone else has already reported the bug).  Drat!  It's doing the
same with ( and ).  There may be a way to stop this via a config.
file.
			David Lawyer