[SGVLUG] Re: My Debian upgrade

David Lawyer dave at lafn.org
Thu May 3 04:07:17 PDT 2007

Note that another problem with my upgrade was that my password for
sending out email to my ISP got put into a file prefixed by "old" so
my email to the LUG, etc. didn't get sent out until a few days after I
upgraded.  Rather it bounced back to me from my ISP and was labelled
*frozen*.  But when they were thawed, they didn't get sent out but
were put back in my mailbox on my PC with explanations attached before
the headers as to why my ISP rejected them.  Then I had to snip off
these explanations and remail them.

Another major problem turned out to be that my GUI browsers all
stopped working.  Reason: my color is only 8-bits and the recent
Mozilla and Galeon browsers don't work with 8-bits due to "Cairo" not
accepting 8-bits.  That's 2-bits for red, etc. so actually only 6 bits
are used.  The compact Dillo GUI browser works fine but it doesn't
have Java script.

So the moral of the story is that what seems like a simple and
harmless upgrade can create a lot of problems that you don't realize
until days later.  I still expect other things will go wrong.

			David Lawyer