[SGVLUG] help promote our user group! we need more people!

David Lawyer dave at lafn.org
Thu Jun 7 01:40:16 PDT 2007

On Wed, Jun 06, 2007 at 10:38:15PM -0700, matti wrote:

> Hi!
>
> Please help spread the word.
>
> I need everyone to help JUST a little
> bit. If you can post a message to
> Craigslist a couple of times a month,
> that would be great!
>
> There are 4 spots worth listing
> our meetings imho:
> Here is a sample of text which I've posted

While I likely wouldn't help even if I could, I can't since 1. Using a
dumb terminal doesn't allow me to see the code word I need to copy to
start the posting process.  2. Even if I post on a GUI terminal, my
Lynx and w3m browsers don't work with the email craigslist send to
verify your existence.  Lynx will not even connect to the https part
of craigslist.  (The links browser will not work on my terminal at all
since it only seems to work on Linux type terminals and I use a CIT
brand from 1983).  I haven't yet filed bug reports against lynx and
w3m . 3. If I use a GUI interface using the fast Dillo browser, I
can't paste a message since Dillo doesn't support it.  I don't think
Dillo has any way to jump into the vim editor for editing when in
text-entry mode of html.  I've read that development of Dillo has
ceased and the same seems to be true for the text-based browsers like
Lynx and w3m.

But I really need fast access to craigslist to sell (or give away) a
lot of household items I don't need.  Well, Mozilla will work OK but
with my memory at 0x3,000,000 (48 MB) it's too slow starting up.
The only positive aspect of my problems with using craigslist is that
it provides a good excuse for not helping out:-)

> body:
>
> We're looking for more people who like to learn
> and discuss linux and other opensource software
> and technology and the related issues you typically
> can read on /. (slashdot.com)

You shouldn't put it this way (we need people).  Rather, we offer
something that people want.

> Anyone friendly with a good attitude and interest
> are welcome.

This implies that the reader might not be friendly and have a bad
attitude.  Also, it's sometimes more responsible not to be too
friendly (such as being selective as to whom you are friendly with,
etc.).

> Often the topics are of professional interest and we have many
> working professionals in the groups.

"Professional" may scare people away if they are not professional.
I agree that it's important to be honest about what we present but I
would hope that much of it isn't "professional"

Here's part of what I wrote years ago:

       The San Gabriel Valley Linux Users Group (SGVLUG) invites you to
       attend our monthly meetings in Pasadena.  We discuss Linux,
       socialize, and volunteer speakers give presentations.  It's all
       free.  Users of FreeBSD (and the like) are encouraged to attend.

A major reason for attending such a meeting is to be able to talk with
others about Linux.  If one just wanted to learn, it would be more
efficient to use the Internet and/or read books and/or use this
mailing list.

			David Lawyer