[SGVLUG] video files - m4p to mpeg - suggestions please

Charles N Wyble charles at thewybles.com
Tue Dec 25 12:33:18 PST 2007

Robert Leyva wrote:
> Greets,
>
> My wife transfered a m4p video file to my debian workstation, and it seems
> totem can not open it.
>
> Anyone have a recommendation on how to either:
>
> 1. Convert a m4p file (I assume from iTunes) to a more standard format,
> like mpeg? This is a 'fair-use being denied' kinda thing for me.

Sure. mencoder will probably do the trick. It can be a bit tricky to use
so look for examples online.

> 2. Know of a codec that I can import to totem so it can then handle m4p?

I generally find that installing vlc will install pretty much all the
codecs you could want/need. I am able to view mp4 files on my machine.
My Nokia n95 records in that format. I have
totem/xine/mplayer/vlc/gstreamer-codecssomethingorother installed. Check
the Ubuntu page for more info. In my case I am on 64 bit so I use:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/AMD64

You may also want to check out:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RestrictedFormats

Merry Christmas.