[SGVLUG] Box O' Linux inventory

Dustin Laurence dustin at laurences.net
Wed Sep 13 19:00:28 PDT 2006

OK, I've done a complete inventory of the Box O' Linux, and here is the
status.  We're well stocked with blank discs and slipcovers, but short
on up-to-date distro discs (only FC 5 DVDs and Ubuntu and Debian Sarge
CDs).  So I've done some housecleaning.  A few current discs of the more
popular distros are welcome--I'm going to toss in one or two "Ultimate
Boot CD" and "GPartEd" disks for a bit of variety, and because they are
tremendously cool utilities that more of you should have on hand for
emergencies.  (The lists below are before my donation, because I wanted
to send this out now.)

First, I've donated a sharpie to the box, to make it easy to label
discs.  A few unlabeled distro discs snuck in a while back, and while we
appreciate the donation it's hard to sort them out.

Second, I've divided up the inventory into two categories.  The Box O'
Linux proper contains discs that are still the most recent release of
the distro in question.  We ask a blank CD in return for a disc so we
don't run out.  The "grab bag" contains distros that are no longer up to
date; these are entirely free for the taking, we don't even ask for a
blank.

With all that said, here is our current inventory.  Is this worth
putting on the web page?

Box O' Linux Proper (we ask a swap of a blank disk)

    Qty    Distro or Item

     4     Ubuntu 6.06 (Dapper Drake) in Ubuntu covers
     7     Ubuntu "Linux For Human Beings" stickers
     3     Debian 3.1 (Sarge) minimal net install disks
     2     Fedora Core 5 *DVDs*

    19     52x blank CD-Rs
     6     48x blank CD-Rs
     7     40x blank CD-Rs

    60     Plastic CD covers

Grab Bag (just take 'em)

     1     Mandrake 10.0 PowerPack Ed. 5-disk set
     3     SUSE Linux 9.3 Pro/Eval
     2     Gentoo 2005.0 minimal net install disks
     1     Knoppix 3.9 CD
     3     Knoppix 4.0 *DVDs*
     1     Debian 3.0 (Woody) minimal net install disk
     1     Fedora Core 2 4-disk set + rescue disk
     1     Fedora Core 3 4-disk set
     2     Fedora Core 3 rescue disks
     2     Fecora Core 4 *DVDs*
     3     Ubuntu (probably original) install disk + Live CD RC2 sets (copies)
     6     Ubuntu (probably original) install + live CD sets (Official)
     3     Ubuntu 5.04 (Hoary Hedgehog) install + live CD sets (Official)
     1     Ubuntu 5.04 FOR POWERPC install + live CD set (Official)
     4     Kubuntu 5.04 install disks
     1     YellowDog PPC Linux 4.0.1 "Geek Edition" boxed set

Dustin, frequent custodian of the Box O' Linux