[SGVLUG] SGVLUG plan for 2007.

David Lawyer dave at lafn.org
Wed Nov 22 22:11:35 PST 2006

On Thu, Nov 23, 2006 at 06:38:49PM -0800, Jason Riker wrote:
> Hi Group!
>
> I'm trying to think of things we can do for next year's SGVLUG to
> increase both attendance and participation.  One idea I came up with is
> a "Linux from the Ground Up" series.
>
> This series would present introductory level Linux topics, like bash,
> Apache configuration, user control (ACLs), KDE/Gnome/Xfce, etc...  To do
> this we would require some of our current members to present.

There are perhaps too advanced topics, except for bash and perhaps the
GUI systems.  For example, the Linux class at PCC only covers the
command-line interface.

> In exchange for your agreeing to present these topics I will go to
> the local colleges to recruit new members.  I will go to PCC, Cal
> Poly Pomona, Mt. SAC, DeVry, Mt. Sierra, and any others that are
> relatively close to pass out fliers, attend their group meetings, or
> anything else that will help drum up support.

I'm opposed to people coming here from Pomona, etc. since it's too
much driving and global warming.  There used to be a "Route 66" lug in
nearby-to- La Verne.  A newer one, "Freaks 4 Linux" in Azusa, didn't seem
to get off the ground ??  The name seems to have been changed to BSD
Freaks but I can't navigate their website due to my lynx browser w/no
Java support.

I tried the site with the Dillo browser but it doesn't have Java
either.  But I did get to see the lug logo, a picture of the devil.
The site's author has some items labeled All MOST DONE.  Is the devil
a freak ??  I recall Stallman temporarily wearing a circle over his
head so as to look like an angel.  So I would think it better to try
to get people from Pomona-Mt. Sac- DeVry to attend a local Lug (if it
will fly).  So after finding out more about the freaks lug, one could
decide if it's wise to start a competing lug with a more sedate name
and logo, if anyone is willing, to do it, and not in Azusa.  I think
people from this lug suggested a name change to no avail.

http://www.freaks4linux.com/

What about Occidental College?  They do have a few computer classes
but one can't major or minor in it.  And they are nearby and have some
joint programs with Caltech.  At PCC, check out the Linux class.  When
I was in this class, the students were having difficulty getting their
homework done and no one every came to the lug that I announced.  The
instructor kept telling me he expected to visit us, but never did.

> In order to start I need to get a commitment from three people to
> present in February, March, and April of 2007.  Please, please,
> please step up and agree to present something.  I'll take any intro
> level topic you can do.
>
> If you're interested, but don't want to commit yet, please contact
> me off-list.
>
> Thank you all for helping to make 2007 a great year for SGVLUG.
>
> Sincerely,
>
> Jason

			David Lawyer