[SGVLUG] HTML question -- spaces in pathnames...

Douglas Burton doug at augustarts.com
Mon Jul 17 14:46:55 PDT 2006

Emerson, Tom wrote:
> I'm pretty sure the answer is "it won't work", but before I go shooting
> off a nasty bug report to the nice folks at the KDE labs (or
> whatever...) I want to make sure someone hasn't snuck this into the
> standard and I just didn't know about it...

> links</a>
>
> This DOES work within the browser when viewing local files, but I
> suspect it would have fallen apart had I sent it this way to the server.
Tom, the spaces in the URI probably would have worked, but they are
considered Unsafe Characters:
http://www.w3.org/Addressing/URL/4_URI_Recommentations.html

    In canonical form, certain characters such as spaces, control
    characters, some characters whose ASCII code is used differently in
    different national character variant 7 bit sets, and all 8bit
    characters beyond DEL (7F hex) of the ISO Latin-1 set, shall not be
    used unencoded. This is a recommendation for trouble-free
    interchange, and as indicated below, the encoded set may be extended
    or reduced.

Browsers will normally automatically encode the spaces in the address
bar as "Relaxing%20on%20the%20links/index.html".

Doug