[SGVLUG] HTML question -- spaces in pathnames...

Emerson, Tom Tom.Emerson at wbconsultant.com
Mon Jul 17 13:52:00 PDT 2006

I'm pretty sure the answer is "it won't work", but before I go shooting
off a nasty bug report to the nice folks at the KDE labs (or
whatever...) I want to make sure someone hasn't snuck this into the
standard and I just didn't know about it...

Some background: As some of you may have noticed, I was in an insane
rush to get out of the meeting "on time", and, in fact, for the first
time in my memory, I actually did NOT go to the "after-the-meeting"
meeting (which, of course, precludes the "standing on the street corner
till 1am meeting", so I'm sure I missed the best part of the evening...)
The reason for this is that I was leaving for a wedding up north, in
Auburn to be exact (near Sacramento, for those whose geography is as bad
as mine...)

The "cool thing" is that this gave me an opportunity to check out
Digikam, and by extension, yet another export-to-html feature.  Digikam
allows (forces?) you to save things in hierarchies known as "albums".
An album can, or course, have a sub-album.  So I created this structure:

  Albums
    My Friends Wedding
      Relaxing on the links
      The ceremony proper
      The Reception

When I went to export this, I selected the "my friends wedding" album
(which was empty) and the three sub-albums.  This effectively created a
"home" page with a link to each actual album (you can see it here:
http://osnut.homelinux.net/SusansWedding) HOWEVER, it created the
sub-albums by using the actual "title", spaces and all, so I ended up
with anchor links that looked like this:

links</a>

This DOES work within the browser when viewing local files, but I
suspect it would have fallen apart had I sent it this way to the server.
I fixed things up by hand (made single-word subdirectories, etc.) so at
least the site works properly.  Note that there are some 15fps videos on
there -- they didn't come out as well as expected.

Tom Emerson
818-977-8828