[SGVLUG] [OT] Especially for Tom & his Prius.... [my rebuttal, then I'll shut up]

Michael Proctor-Smith mproctor13 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 12 13:44:26 PDT 2006

On 7/12/06, Greg Stark <gstark at electrorent.com> wrote:
> Ultimately, don't we want to get away from fossil fuel which equates to
> getting away from dependency on foreign oil?  E-85 gets us there 85%.
> (Wonder if you could mix Bio diesels to replace benzene with Ethanol.)
>
> Why worry about efficiency so much if it your fuel is renewable.  Ok, there
> is only so much fertile land left and sunlight.  But with global warming,
> the growing season is extended, and soon you'll be able to farm sugar cane
> on the tundra and Siberia.  Canada's and Russia's new cash crop.
>
> Why haven't Toyota, Honda, and VW produced cars for E-85?  So far it's only
> GM, Ford and what ever is down in Brazil!

Brazil is a great success story they have almost 100% penetration of
at least flex fuel capable vehicles because ethanol/gas ethanol mixes
are much cheaper.
As for Toyota, Honda, and VW while the US is there probably there
biggest market it is not there home market and there home markets have
no interest in E-85 as they do not have a massive oversupply of corn.
Remember Japan and Europe buy most of there corn from that same
oversupply of US corn.

Funnily enough gmail was nice enough to put an add about palm oil next
this thread.