[SGVLUG] Could it be? Are media companies really "waking up and smelling the coffee"?

Emerson, Tom Tom.Emerson at wbconsultant.com
Wed Jul 5 10:34:31 PDT 2006

On Warner's internal company website, I saw this item:

"This just in..."

    WBHEG, Wurld Media Partner for P2P Content Delivery

Warner Bros. Home Entertainment Group has signed a deal with Wurld Media
to make select movies and television shows from the Warner Bros. library
available for download through the peer-to-peer service, Peer Impact.
For a small fee, consumers will be able to download and view the content
for a 24-hour period.

Unfortunately, I cannot find out more about "peer impact" because our
corporate filter blocks the site {"inappropriate content")  I can get to
the "wurld media" site, and that site /describes/ peer impact --
somewhere I saw the dreaded words "patent pending" [umm, would
"BitTorrent" be "prior art"?] but I suspect this is necessary so that
people don't/cannot use non-DRM enabled clients [yeah, we'll probably be
left out in the cold again...]

On the other hand, they're solving the "leech" problem by "rewarding"
people who participate in the "upload" portion [such as after hosting
"x" uploads you can get a movie for free instead of "for a small
fee"...]

Tom Emerson
818-977-8828