[SGVLUG] Could it be? Are media companies really "waking up and smelling the coffee"?

Sean O'Donnell sean at seanodonnell.com
Wed Jul 5 11:53:28 PDT 2006

hmm, corporate-controlled p2p networks, tiered net-access, complete
abolishment of civil liberties and existing laws in regards to
communications/privacy (on all mediums)...

I'm finding it very hard to get my glass to the '1/2-full' state. =/

"For a small fee, consumers will be able to download and view the
content for a 24-hour period."

How will that pan-out for dial-up users (those poor bastards), or when
the pipes get clogged and it takes users over 24hours to download
content? *hypothetically speaking*

I still think on-demand is a great cable tv model, and I would prefer to
use that than my pc (for viewing movies, etc).

It's a shame that they have not yet been able to implement a long-term
strategy for such technology and business-model potential.

On-demand allows me to select a movie (from a pre-selected
databsae-driven menu) on my tv, and play it from the cable network
server, in real-time.

I can pause, ffwd, rwnd, stop, replay, etc., all as part of my subscription.

Since I have HBO and Showtime, I get HBO and Showtime 'on-demand'
services. I also get on-demand services from most of the other channels
available.

Unfortunately, it is a minimal selection of movies/content, and changes
often.

When will the day come that someone (with the power to do this) wakes up
and says 'let's (digitally) archive ALL TV shows, movies, etc., and
offer it 'on-demand'.

I would eat-up such a service, and I imagine other cable viewers would too.

If I could browse/search through a database-driven menu on my tv, and
select *say* an episode (#14) of the Dukes of Hazard, or even that one
'fav' episode of twilight zone (or something), I would be a very
satisfied consumer.

It IS do-able, the infrastructure and technologies are readily
available, and have been for some time. However, it would require a TON
of work, legal negotiations, and would take years to implement, so I
understand why it hasn't emerged yet.

I do hope they're (err, someone's) working on it already, because if
not, it is a horribly un-tapped market.

- --

Sean O'Donnell
South Pasadena, CA