[SGVLUG] APC UPS on sale at CompUSA

Claude Felizardo cafelizardo at gmail.com
Tue Jul 4 02:29:23 PDT 2006

For those of you thinking of purchasing a decent UPS, CompUSA has a
couple of APC UPS's on sale until Saturday, 7/8/2006.

Back-UPS ES 350, 180 W for $20 after $5 instant and $15 mail-in rebate
http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?product_code=294979&tabtype=rb

Back-UPS XS 1200, 780 W for $125 after $25 mail-in rebate
http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?pfp=cat3&product_code=338485&Pn=Back_UPS_XS_1200_UPS

I hate rebates but never had a problem with APC and have been pretty
happy with them.  While you might be able to find them cheaper
elsewhere CompUSA has plenty in stock.  I prefer the models that allow
full monitoring but the simple signaling models are cheaper.

Normally I would have waited for a better deal but I needed a quick
replacement after the battery in my BP1100 died.  Fortunately DuVac
has reasonably priced replacement batteries but they were closed today
and probably won't be open until Wed.  I did find a couple of places
online that were cheaper but after you factor in shipping and the
waiting for ground, I opted to get it locally.

Both of these models come with a USB cable so you can monitor the UPS
load, battery charge, voltage and run time as well as do an automatic
shutdown.  I installed apcupsd from RPMs and it recognized the UPS via
USB immediately.   Waiting for the battery to finish charging before I
test the auto shutdown.

claude