[SGVLUG] Is anyone else getting boiler-room cold-calls fromEarthkink/India?

Emerson, Tom Tom.Emerson at wbconsultant.com
Tue Jan 10 14:18:25 PST 2006

yeah -- the more I think about it, the more I'm glad I said "give that to me in writing BEFORE I decide".  As it is, the folks that cold-called me were likely an independant "fullfillment house", not earthlink at all.  In fact, I *think* they might have started off the conversation, "Hi, I'm Kevin.  I'm calling /on behalf of/ Earthlink..."  In any case, I've left them with a phone number to an answering machine I ignore anyway, so they'll have to catch me at a time that is inconvenient even for them... :)

but as I posted to the chat, when I got down to the specifics, it doesn't make sense to switch.

hmmm... it does have a real "earthlink.net" address (though presumably "from" Gary Campbell with an e-mail address of "allserve.chen at earthlink.net"), so at one point it goes through a 207... node, however the "first" received line looks like this:

When "Kevin" gave me his call-back number, he also gave me an "alternate" name to contact that sounded suspiciously like "elwamui sweet" -- could it be that his workstation is configured using his "real" name after all? ;) [which, to a degree, implies he is using a Linux workstation in the first place...] Equally interesting is the "X-Originating-IP" tag gives the Earthlink mail-hub's address (207.69.195.70, which is the "pop-burzoi..." node) and not the workstation's address (209...)  Furthermore, the "message-id" tag for the e-mail is:

    <3081424.1136687154715.JavaMail.root at elwamui-sweet.atl.sa.earthlink.net>

Curiouser and curiouser... ;)