Linux Desktop Summit Re: [SGVLUG] Hello from San Diego

sean at seanodonnell.com sean at seanodonnell.com
Wed Apr 26 10:34:43 PDT 2006

lol, Give me Slackware, or Give me Death! =)

I wouldn't touch Xandros, Linspire, Mandriva, Fedora, or anything else
w/ a GUI
installer *unless you paid me*, but that is just me. *no offense to those who
swear by these distros*

Slackware is not for everyone, and not everything is for me, but
slackware suits
my weird tinker-fetish needs rather nicely.

I (personally) can't stand package management systems, RPM's, YaST/Yum,
or even
slackware packages. I guess it's an issue of trust, or perhaps paranoia, or
maybe I just like to make my life a bit more daunting, which may
explain a lot!
=p

Anyhow, I generally do a complete install of the OS, and then simply
'removepkg'
for stuff that I either know I don't need/want, or feel the desire to
recompile
from the src (usually server applications), with the ./config
--directives that
I choose, not what has been spoonfed to me in the form of a package.

This approach lets me rest assure that any security breaches or
vulnerabilities
to the configuration are MY fault, so I can beat myself up later *and
hopefully
learn from my mistakes*. =p

As far as 'work-place' goes, I use slackware 10.1 as my desktop @ work,
next to
a winxp box + kvm switch that collects dust most of the day, except
when I need
to use the Toad Oracle Client (basically).

One of my co-workers is using Gentoo, and another one uses Ubuntu. The rest of
the organization runs Windows, and I am only 1 of 2 PHP/Oracle
Programmers here
in a room FULL of Windows/.NET developers. *shrug*

Too each his own I say! =)

On the system that I am maintaining, we run our Oracle Server(s) on
Redhat, and
our NFS, CVS, and HTTP/S Servers on Debian.

The only reason we use Redhat, is because Oracle 9i works so smoothly
on redhat
(as compared to debian, says the sr. sysadmin).

I've used SuSE, Core Linux, Redhat, Gentoo, Ubuntu, Fedora, Debian, Slackware,
and CentOS, but I simply prefer slackware for my needs.

Anyhow, I didn't mean to cause a distro flame war or anything, I'm just
blabbering my thoughts/experiences. =)

Sean O'Donnell
South Pasadena, CA
sean at seanodonnell.com