Linux Desktop Summit Re: [SGVLUG] Hello from San Diego

Alex Roston tungtung at pacbell.net
Wed Apr 26 09:11:17 PDT 2006

Hallelujah! Sing it brother!

Now don't get me wrong. I love Slackware, and I use it on the desktop -
with a custom version of IceWM, including a custom theme, because the
themes that come with IceWM suck, not to mention the rewritten
configuration files... I built XDCRoast with "configure," "make" and
"make install," just like I built several other desktop components. I
also use a heavily customized version of Idesk for icon management, and
only turn Nautilus on when I desperately need to, because the latest
Nautilus is becoming more and more bloated and Gnome-centric... most of
my file management is done the old-fashioned way, by booting a console.
CD-Roms are lovingly mounted by hand, the old fashioned way, and I've
set my printer up with LPD, using a command-line application called
apsfilter, because CUPS is an unreliable piece of garbage that dies at
the drop of a hat.

etc.

And etc. again.

At the end of the process, Slackware became an extension of my will.
But it took a couple years, and I dread the day I have to upgrade.

But would I reccommend Slackware for a newbie? Or a corporate office? Or
someone who doesn't like to tinker? No way in hell - not unless they
were willing to pay me to customize it first.

Alex