[SGVLUG] Web Archive Voting Results.

Terry Hancock hancock at anansispaceworks.com
Mon Sep 19 14:13:47 PDT 2005

On Monday 19 September 2005 02:57 pm, Hershel Remer wrote:
> BS"D
> Our friend Michael replies:
> My experience with geeks and email lists is that one cannot draw any
> conclusions from those email recipients that do not respond. But if you insist
> on declaring that the 47% is nothing more than a mere fraction, then stomp on
> the minority, I say!!!

WRONG.  You *can* conclude that anyone who didn't vote didn't
care enough to vote.  Which seems imminently practical for this
kind of question.

Even in US presidential elections we don't trash the results just because
less than half the populace voted.

Now were this a matter of "unalienable rights" instead of "preference",
then you shouldn't care about that -- a right should be upheld, even
for a tiny percentage.  That's the difference between "freedom" and
"democracy".  But *I* don't think there is a "right not to be
quoted" when you speak in a public place, so it is just a matter
of preference.  If you want to speak in confidence to someone, you
send them a private email, and observance of that confidence has only
ever been enforced by convention.