[SGVLUG] OT: Arrived in Chicago (Was: Re: The Return of sgvlug.org)

Jean Chen narsil at gmail.com
Sat Sep 17 08:17:40 PDT 2005

On 9/15/05, Dustin <laurence at alice.caltech.edu> wrote:

> > ...Tahoe was pretty, Nevada was arid,
> > Utah I drove through in the dark,
>
> Hmm, sounds like you must have gone up the 15?  If you went through the
> Virgin River Gorge in the dark, you missed some beautiful landscape.

I think I was on I-80.  I know I went through the Salt Flats in the
dark.  The moon wasn't out, so I missed even seeing the reflected glow
in the dark.  However, I did have state troopers come up behind me
with their lights on.  I was worried until I figured out that they had
wanted me to get out of the fast lane so they could get to an
accident.

> > ...Wyoming was very pretty,
>
> Ah, you have good taste. :-)  which part of WY?

Oh, I liked everything I saw on I-80.  I must be a real Californian,
because I like looking at any kind of evergreen forest, desert,
chaparral, or scrubland.  Farms and deciduous forests don't interest
me at all.  I stopped off at a tiny gas station near Evanston, and the
girl there was very sweet to me.  So I think that Wyomians (?) are
very nice.  Is Montana like this too?

> > Identifiable road kill I saw:
>
> You know, this is a trip statistic I've rarely seen reported.

Yet another first for SGVLUG.  Aren't we glad this is going down in
the Web archives?  :)

> In Montana we never had a state daytime speed limit until the fed'rl
> gub'mint forced us to (the signs would say something like "safe and
> reliable"), but we had a 55 mph nighttime speed limit long before the
> federal one because of the danger of a buck coming antlers-first through
> the windshield.  It can be that dangerous.  Glad you made it OK.

My gosh.  Yes, thank you.  I know that deer can completely destroy a
car, along with you inside it.  It happened to a person I knew.  He
wasn't hurt, but the car by rights should've been totaled.  It wasn't,
only because it was a collector's item.

> Go, spread the gospel of freedom and stability to the huddled masses
> until Lake Michigan is free from shore to shore!

Yessir!

Jean

--
"What others think of us would be of little moment did it not, when
known, so deeply tinge what we think of ourselves."