[SGVLUG] OT: Arrived in Chicago (Was: Re: The Return of sgvlug.org)

Mike Morris mike at bluesbrothers.net
Fri Sep 16 01:53:56 PDT 2005

At 05:54 PM 9/15/05, you wrote:

>On Thu, 15 Sep 2005, Jean Chen wrote:
>
> > My friend in Bloomington has an eMachines box running Windows Me which
> > is quite dead.  Ugh!
>
>I gather ME is an *especially* well-loved version of MS-Windows. :-)

After yet another delay in releasing the NT v5 MS needed cash flow so
they rehashed the Win95 code base once more under the name
"Millennium Edition" ... it was truly a last gasp of the code base...
NTv5 finally came out under the name of Lose 2000.
They tried to make ME more attractive by tossing in a few of the NTv5
goodies "down compiled" for 98 (yes, that term was used by a MS
windows development wonk I met on an airline flight).  ME was
universally hated, even by the Windows fans I know... One name
was "Mostly Errors" or "Mostly Evil" the same way that XP stands
for Xtra Problems, and that "2K' is the number of security holes.