[SGVLUG] OT: Arrived in Chicago (Was: Re: The Return of sgvlug.org)

Dustin laurence at alice.caltech.edu
Thu Sep 15 17:54:14 PDT 2005

On Thu, 15 Sep 2005, Jean Chen wrote:

> I got into Chicago just a few hours ago.  It is good so far.

I thought you told me you'd be there not long after the first of the
month.  My bad.

> ...The
> drive was long.  It was very long.

It's a big country. :-)  I always tell people who came directly to school
in Southern California from another country that they should try and visit
that large country to the East, the United States.  It's nice too. :-)

> ...Tahoe was pretty, Nevada was arid,
> Utah I drove through in the dark,

Hmm, sounds like you must have gone up the 15?  If you went through the
Virgin River Gorge in the dark, you missed some beautiful landscape.

> ...Wyoming was very pretty,

Ah, you have good taste. :-)  which part of WY?

> ...Kansas,
> Missouri, and Illinois were a lot of wheat and corn fields which went
> on for a long time.  I would be happy never to drive on a two-lane
> highway again, but I know that's not possible. :)

> Identifiable road kill I saw:

You know, this is a trip statistic I've rarely seen reported.

> I could've hit a deer yesterday in southern Illinois.

In Montana we never had a state daytime speed limit until the fed'rl
gub'mint forced us to (the signs would say something like "safe and
reliable"), but we had a 55 mph nighttime speed limit long before the
federal one because of the danger of a buck coming antlers-first through
the windshield.  It can be that dangerous.  Glad you made it OK.

> My friend in Bloomington has an eMachines box running Windows Me which
> is quite dead.  Ugh!

I gather ME is an *especially* well-loved version of MS-Windows. :-)

> ...I think there is some work for Linux here :)

Go, spread the gospel of freedom and stability to the huddled masses
until Lake Michigan is free from shore to shore!

Dustin