[SGVLUG] OT: Arrived in Chicago (Was: Re: The Return of sgvlug.org)

Jean Chen narsil at gmail.com
Thu Sep 15 14:59:55 PDT 2005

On 9/9/05, Dustin <laurence at alice.caltech.edu> wrote:
> On Fri, 9 Sep 2005, Jean Chen wrote:
>
> > YAY!  I'm glad to hear this.
> >
> > Sorry, that's all I had to say.
>
> And I want to know how the Windy City is treating you so far. :-)
>
> Dustin

I got into Chicago just a few hours ago.  It is good so far.  The
drive was long.  It was very long.  Tahoe was pretty, Nevada was arid,
Utah I drove through in the dark, Wyoming was very pretty, and Kansas,
Missouri, and Illinois were a lot of wheat and corn fields which went
on for a long time.  I would be happy never to drive on a two-lane
highway again, but I know that's not possible. :)  I'll have to suck
it up.

Identifiable road kill I saw:

Deer: 1
Dog: 1
Raccoon: 1
Skunk: 1
Possum: 1

Excitement at setting foot on the U of C campus:

11

I could've hit a deer yesterday in southern Illinois.  It was scary.
It was just crouched in the middle of five lanes of highway, looking
at the traffic.  Ironically it blended right in with the pavement
because they were both grayish-tan.

My friend in Bloomington has an eMachines box running Windows Me which
is quite dead.  Ugh!  I think there is some work for Linux here :)

Jean

--
"What others think of us would be of little moment did it not, when
known, so deeply tinge what we think of ourselves."