[SGVLUG] longhorn catches up...

Emerson, Tom Tom.Emerson at wbconsultant.com
Mon Sep 12 18:52:23 PDT 2005

Typical of any internet webpage, the news.com article Matti pointed us to had links at the botton about "other articles" -- one in particular caught my eye:

"The longhorn browser and RSS technology team offer a peak at what's to come"
[ok, so it's dated June 28th -- so sue me]

This is actually a video feed, and the link that is provided will take you straight to "playing" the video (if you have the right cookie set):
http://news.com.com/1606-2-5766920.html?tag=st.rb

Basically it goes on to talk about their implementation of firefox's "live bookmark" feature.  (KDE's Konquerer does this as well in almost the same manner, but actually manages RSS feeds in a seperate application; the browser merely inserts the feed-link into it's configuration file)

The video is nearly 7 minutes long, and about 5 minutes into the video a rather famous Microsoft catch phrase can be heard:

   "...Microsoft has EXTENDED the RSS STANDARD to provide..."

though this may not be as sinister as other microsoft "embrace / extend / extinguish" tactics as the very last sentance (as the video was fading out) was: "...and we've released these extensions back into the community through the creative commons license..."