[SGVLUG] archives??? since when?

Hershel Remer unixrabbi at rabbs.com
Thu Sep 8 12:35:15 PDT 2005

BS"D

Our friend Tom provides:

> http://www.sgvlug.net/pipermail/sgvlug/2005-June/000004.html
> http://www.sgvlug.net/pipermail/sgvlug/2005-June/000014.html
> http://www.sgvlug.net/pipermail/sgvlug/2005-June/000015.html

I don't recall reading any of those, but those aren't MEMOs.  A memo would be
in the form of an official policy announcement with a brand new subject line
-- a strong subject line that defines the contents of the information in the
body of that email, and not buried in some other thread with the subject line
of "ping" for Heaven's sake!!

A "memo" would be a brand new thread with a subject line of "List to be
web-archived" and in the body of the email, it would say:

"Please be aware that we are now going to web-archive all emails posted to
this list effective immediately."

That is a perfectly legitimate warning to all.  I don't recall ever seeing
such an email posted to this list.

> Admittedly, these were written when very few people were "on" the new list

Waitaminute. The plot thickens. Are you saying that the "memos" were only sent
out to a handful of people in a behind closed doors fashion?

> but it points out that the e-mail HEADERS now contained a reference to an
> archive [albeit an incorrect reference...]

And why on earth would anyone suddenly read headers to learn of changes? If
changes occur dynamically, then we are theoretically required to check every
header of every email to see if policy's have changed.

> while I rarely use them, I do find them to be of value -- note how I was able
> to research how and when we "told" you that the posts were going to be
> archived from now on :)

Ah, but you could do the same thing by using Mutt on your own mailbox or even
subscribing a gmail or yahoo or hotmail account to the list.

Csivah v'Chasimah Tovah !!

-- the unixrabbi

Have you got a question about sex? Wondering about unix? or just curious why
the Jews were chosen and the rest of you Gentiles were not? Well, why not get
your answers from the Rabbi Rabbs himself at:
http://www.thedingdongshow.com/messageboard/viewforum.php?f=7 .