[SGVLUG] International keyboard issue (really short this time)

Terry Hancock hancock at anansispaceworks.com
Wed Sep 7 06:10:29 PDT 2005

On Tuesday 06 September 2005 07:54 pm, Tom Emerson wrote:
> On Tuesday 06 September 2005 18:35, Claude Felizardo wrote:
> > On 9/6/05, Emerson, Tom <Tom.Emerson at wbconsultant.com> wrote:
> > > In particular, when I type a quote character, either single or double, it
> > > [waits for] the NEXT character [...] (basically I have to remember to
> > > hit the quote character twice)
> > >
> > > Where should I look to disable this specific behaviour?

This feature is called "dead keys" by the way. It's waiting to see
if you wanted the quote character to form a diacritic composite
character with the next key type (e.g. ` + u = ù).

You probably knew that, but if not, I'm hoping the keywords might help
you search the documentation.  For example, a google search
for '"dead keys" diacritic KDE' seems to turn up some relevant pages.

I believe I had to make changes in my XF86Config file to fix this
when I had the problem (but that was a couple of versions of X
back and I was using a plain window manager, not KDE, at the time).

HTH,
Terry