[SGVLUG] International keyboard issue (really short this time)

Tom Emerson osnut at pacbell.net
Tue Sep 6 17:54:09 PDT 2005

On Tuesday 06 September 2005 18:35, Claude Felizardo wrote:
> On 9/6/05, Emerson, Tom <Tom.Emerson at wbconsultant.com> wrote:
> > In particular, when I type a quote character, either single or double, it
> > [waits for] the NEXT character [...] (basically I have to remember to
> > hit the quote character twice)
> >
> > Where should I look to disable this specific behaviour?
>
> You run KDE don't you?
>
> On my Mandrake box running KDE 3.3, I select menu -> System ->
> configuration -> configure your computer -> hardware -> Set up the
> keyboard layout.  Mine is set up for a 105-key (Intl) PC.

there seems to be two or three places where this occurs -- what you are
describing is the Yast page I think -- kdeś control center has keyboard
related pages in two or three locations:

   Peripherals / keyboard [controls repeat rate and numlock, it seems]
   regional / keyboard layout [this seems to be the country-specific page] (*)
   regional / kbd shortcuts [you can define your own]
   regional / kbd hotkeys [ditto -- this seems to be the place to define those
ëxtra" multimedia keys (whups, forgot to double-key the quote char)]
   yast / system / keyboard layout [this is the one you're describing, but it
looks like it only sets the layout, and all you can really select is a
language [mine's set to english (us) -- hey, look at that -- the quote
character "magically" started working again as I went to those "pages" --
something must have gotten reset as I was looking at them...

(hmmm: the downside: my keyboard volume/mute keys don't work anymore
either...)

> Doing a google search on "linux change keyboard layout", i found a
> reference that says to run kbdconfig which is what i get when i go
> through the menus.  oh but that's apparently linked to keyboarddrake
> so i'm not sure what it will be on another distro.

the KDE "hotkeys" dialog has an input field that when enabled, basically
captures the next keypress to assign it to a function.  With the keyboard
"layout" enabled, the volume/mute keys and things like www/e-mail/favorites
generate a known keyboard event; when the layout is disabled, they don't.
(well, I suppose it still generates the same keypress, however since it isn't
defined, it isn't passed along to any programs...)

(hmmm... must be getting late -- that last paragraph didn't entirely make
sense, better stop here and resume the thought in the morning...)

--
Top o' the Blog: Too hot to handle
http://osnut.homelinux.net/mtblog/ya_index.html