[SGVLUG] Re: Linux Audio Meeting--Let's Try Again

Dustin laurence at alice.caltech.edu
Thu Sep 1 21:30:43 PDT 2005

On Thu, 1 Sep 2005, Douglas Burton wrote:

> I hadn't been keeping an eye on the discussion, sorry; I just got caught
> up. The 5th being Labor Day, I'm doing family stuff and won't be able to
> make it. That's okay -- I didn't speak up soon enough. The reason I
> mention it now is that I won't be able to host the meeting at my office
> on that day.

Mmm, that's unfortunate--but we may be doing this again.  It would be
pretty cool to meet a second (Nth) time and see how effective the first
(N-1th) meeting was at giving people a start.

Speaking of getting a start, how did Demudi work for you?

We have to have a location as well as people--Jeff, what about your office
this time?

Also, we should probably have people put their hands up so we have a rough
idea how many, and also who may want to carpool.  I can take up to maybe
four in the 4Runner.

Things We Can Do:

* Dustin can pack up his desktop (groan) and bring along a system with
  some of the tools already installed and working.  Maybe I should upgrade
  to the latest nightly Ardour tarball during the meeting. :-)

* We can have an installfest for people who want to bring a machine and
  try to install one of the audio meta-distros (Planet CCRMA for Fedora,
  Demudi for Debian, AudioSlack for Slackware....).  I've only done demudi,
  but we can work on it together.  This would be easier with net access,
  but we may have that.

* We can put Ardour through its paces and record some tracks.  I and
  others can bring instruments and mics.  If anyone has a mic preamp, that
  would be a big help 'cuz I don't yet.  Some extra audio cords might not
  hurt either.

* I can probably do a very impromptu, very rough introduction to the bits
  of Linux audio I know about, so at least people know the names and
  jargon.

Moral: bring instruments, gear, and computers. :-)

Dustin