[SGVLUG] CPU speed scaling

Dustin laurence at alice.caltech.edu
Wed Nov 23 15:48:12 PST 2005

OK, a question I've been meaning to ask.  In tweaking the laptop, I have
speed scaling working but the kernel driver (actually processor.ko, needed
by both of the actual speed scaling drivers available, acpi_cpufreq.ko and
speedstep_centrino.ko and other modules like thermal.ko) itself seems to
impose a noticable intermittent CPU load.  Noticable as in not only do I
see spikes of activity all over the CPU monitor, but also I can see a
slight loss of responsiveness in, say, opening an application.

If anyone is using speed scaling, I'd like to know if this is an
unavoidable consequence of the scaling process itself or some
misconfiguration of mine.  If the former, I may have to make it so I can
boot without it when I'm on power.

Dustin