[SGVLUG] ot: more on sony rootkits

Terry Hancock hancock at anansispaceworks.com
Fri Nov 18 23:07:49 PST 2005

On Thu, 17 Nov 2005 11:27:07 -0800
Michael Proctor-Smith <mproctor13 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Another point of view is that I don't want to Sony gone
> after(for the DMCA, I would love them go after for the GPL
> violation) as that points a spot light on VLC. Because if
> Sony is in violation of DMCA, then VLC must be as well.

No, it's true. Desire for revenge aside, the reality is that
what would be best politically is for the pressure to be
turned up just high enough for Sony to turncoat on the
industry and become our ally in defeating the DMCA.  I have
little hope of this actually happening, but there is no
evangelist as powerful as the recently converted.

Corporations can do that. They have no soul and no
conscience, and thus cannot betray themselves (no selves to
betray).

Cheers,
Terry