[SGVLUG] rpm hell

Don Saxton dsaxton at pacbell.net
Fri Nov 18 18:55:29 PST 2005

I am trying to instal php with mysql.  The ./configure requires
libmysqlclient. Because I already have some mysql databases, I am trying
to use rpm and minimum changes. libmysqlclient requires
libcrypto.so.0.9.7
libssl.so.0.9.7

I have on disk
/usr//lib/libcrypto.so.0.9.6
/usr//lib/libcrypto.so.0.9.6b
/usr//lib/libcrypto.so.1
/usr//lib/libcrypto.so.2

/usr/lib/libssl.so.0.9.6
/usr/lib/libssl.so.0.9.6b
/usr/lib/libssl.so.1
/usr/lib/libssl.so.2

apparently the so.0.9.6b came from openssl rpm or so the rpm list says.
I tried to rpm update from the openssl.0.9.7, but of course it wants to
update libssl.so.2 which is needed by a bunch of programs like
postrgresql that I need.

Then I tried to install openssl.0.9.7.rpm, but now I get conflicts with
files from openssl.0.9.6b including the openssl.cnf. I looked for rpms
for the libssl and libcrypto, but only versions 9.7g or h.

So I have two questions:  How can I add the two 0.9.7 libraries?  Is
there any acceptable substitutes?

Thanks