[SGVLUG] ot: more on sony rootkits

Michael Proctor-Smith mproctor13 at gmail.com
Thu Nov 17 11:27:07 PST 2005

On 11/17/05, Dustin <laurence at alice.caltech.edu> wrote:
> On Thu, 17 Nov 2005, Chris Smith wrote:
>
> > so), but they are violating the DMCA (something with very serious
> > consequences).
>
> I saw that today.  As soon as this story broke I've been waiting for
> someone to find a DMCA angle.  I hope (but do not necessarily expect) this
> is prosecuted to the absolute fullest extent of the law.  I wonder if it
> will still seem OK for "little people" to be charged as terrorists if a
> multinational corporation gets caught in the gears?

Well remeber the Laws in America only apply to those who do not have
crap loads of money. Sony has a LOT of money, plus they have a big
thing to hold over Apple's head in that they will threaten to withdraw
Sony/BMG music from itunes, so Apple will say that they oked the use
of there DRM. As far as I know DMCA is like other copyright in that
the harmed party must press the charges(meaning Apple must sue Sony).

Another point of view is that I don't want to Sony gone after(for the
DMCA, I would love them go after for the GPL violation) as that points
a spot light on VLC. Because if Sony is in violation of DMCA, then VLC
must be as well.