[SGVLUG] Microsoft Reports OSS Unix Beats Windows XP

Dustin laurence at alice.caltech.edu
Fri Nov 11 20:38:07 PST 2005

On Fri, 11 Nov 2005, Robert wrote:

> I definately enjoyed reading that PDF. What supprised me about the
> article, is to see that, according to their own PDF, a previous "windows"
> seemed to be faster than all the other results (!?).
>
> I also find it amusing to see that, as M$ evolves, they are basically
> recreating a *nix-like systems....

> > We talked about how linux process creation and context switches are
> > much fast then Windows,
> > One example from Microsoft's report they show the number of CPU cycles
> > needed to "create and start a process" as 1,032,000 for FreeBSD,
> > 719,000 for Linux, and 5,376,000 for Windows/XP.
> >
> > So microsoft admits linux is 746% fast at creating a process then Windows.

Um, guys, I don't think that's what it says.  The paper is about a
Microsoft *research* OS that is very much a work in progress, so first of
all it isn't MS-Windows.  Second, I surely wouldn't expect a research OS
to be anything like as well tuned as a production system like Linux or
FreeBSD (or MS-Windows).  And third, it says it's goal is stability over
performance anyway, so it's willing to accept performance penalties in
order to meet it's goals.

It has some interesting ideas, actually.  I'm interested that they use
TAL.

Dustin