[SGVLUG] Microsoft Reports OSS Unix Beats Windows XP

Michael Proctor-Smith mproctor13 at gmail.com
Sat Nov 12 22:45:50 PST 2005

On 11/11/05, Dustin <laurence at alice.caltech.edu> wrote:
> Um, guys, I don't think that's what it says.  The paper is about a
> Microsoft *research* OS that is very much a work in progress, so first of
> all it isn't MS-Windows.  Second, I surely wouldn't expect a research OS
> to be anything like as well tuned as a production system like Linux or
> FreeBSD (or MS-Windows).  And third, it says it's goal is stability over
> performance anyway, so it's willing to accept performance penalties in
> order to meet it's goals.
>
> It has some interesting ideas, actually.  I'm interested that they use
> TAL.

Actually they test Linux vs. FreeBSD vs. MS-Windows vs.
Singularity(Research OS). The paper shows Singularity Wining lots of
things. But the tests are very windows centric (userspace pthreads)
on Linux/FreeBSD, windows threads on windows. If the tests were done
The Unix Way. The test would have probably come out differently.