[SGVLUG] Possible "Cool Tools" topic

Dustin laurence at alice.caltech.edu
Thu Nov 3 10:15:01 PST 2005

On Thu, 3 Nov 2005, Michael Proctor-Smith wrote:

> Mike Threatends to shoot anyone that raises there hands(The laptop I
> bring to meetings belongs to my company and is my main workstation).
> But if you promise that it will not brake any hardware and it will
> work propery again with less then an hours work.

Actually, I don't think there is much chance of that.  The program is
really just a nicer and more useful front-end to xgamma.  Doesn't touch
the kernel, X, or even need to run suid root.

> But my laptop may not be the best choice as it requires NVidia binary
> drivers to use the vga out. Plus it requires very peticular xconfig in
> order to  be able to switch back to the console once Xwindows is
> started, slightly differant config will ether leave the console
> imposable to see or hard lock the machine.

Nothing like that should get touched.  I do have a Gamma line in my
XConfig, but that's optional.  Run 'xgamma' from the command-line and you
should find nothing bad happens, and everything can be set back again by
just running it with the original values (almost certainly 1.0 if you
haven't tweaked it).

The real question is--is there interest in monitor settings for
better-appearing photos and such?

Dustin