[SGVLUG] Possible "Cool Tools" topic

Claude Felizardo cafelizardo at gmail.com
Thu Nov 3 10:30:36 PST 2005

On 11/3/05, Dustin <laurence at alice.caltech.edu> wrote:
> On Thu, 3 Nov 2005, Michael Proctor-Smith wrote:
>
> > Mike Threatends to shoot anyone that raises there hands(The laptop I
> > bring to meetings belongs to my company and is my main workstation).
> > But if you promise that it will not brake any hardware and it will
> > work propery again with less then an hours work.
>
> Actually, I don't think there is much chance of that.  The program is
> really just a nicer and more useful front-end to xgamma.  Doesn't touch
> the kernel, X, or even need to run suid root.
>
> > But my laptop may not be the best choice as it requires NVidia binary
> > drivers to use the vga out. Plus it requires very peticular xconfig in
> > order to  be able to switch back to the console once Xwindows is
> > started, slightly differant config will ether leave the console
> > imposable to see or hard lock the machine.
>
> Nothing like that should get touched.  I do have a Gamma line in my
> XConfig, but that's optional.  Run 'xgamma' from the command-line and you
> should find nothing bad happens, and everything can be set back again by
> just running it with the original values (almost certainly 1.0 if you
> haven't tweaked it).
>
> The real question is--is there interest in monitor settings for
> better-appearing photos and such?
>
> Dustin

Yes I would like to see a demonstration of how to best make these kind
of adjustments especially when trying to match colors on different
monitors that are side by side.  At work i have a matched pair but not
at home and I'm always having to drag an image from one to another.
On my box at work it looks like I've got the default values of 1 as
expected but I really don't have many pics on this box here but I do
at home.

oh and btw, I'm still waiting to hear about more details on next
week's meeting and the presenter.  I could submit the one line now but
once I do, there's no guarantee that any updates will be seen by the
editors but I don't want to wait much longer.

claude