[SGVLUG] Possible "Cool Tools" topic

Michael Proctor-Smith mproctor13 at gmail.com
Thu Nov 3 09:33:22 PST 2005

On 11/2/05, Dustin <laurence at alice.caltech.edu> wrote:
> Question--how many people were interested enough in my little "monitor
> adjustment" note that they'd like to see a "cool tools" talk on the topic?
> After I wrote it I found a rather excellent little graphical utility for
> setting the monitor parameters, and could probably cover it in a cool
> tools-sized slot.
>
> The fun part is that it isn't in any distro I've seen, but it's about the
> smallest and simplest bit of code you're likely to want to install and
> most people could build it from source without too much likelihood of
> trouble.  If Mike would let me, I had in mind to try downloading,
> building, and using it live on his laptop. :-)
>
> Sure, I could just install the binary version, but I'm no coward.  :-)
>
> Dustin, "everyone that wants to see me smoke Mike's laptop live, raise
>          your hand"

Mike Threatends to shoot anyone that raises there hands(The laptop I
bring to meetings belongs to my company and is my main workstation).
But if you promise that it will not brake any hardware and it will
work propery again with less then an hours work.

But my laptop may not be the best choice as it requires NVidia binary
drivers to use the vga out. Plus it requires very peticular xconfig in
order to  be able to switch back to the console once Xwindows is
started, slightly differant config will ether leave the console
imposable to see or hard lock the machine.