[SGVLUG] The Box O' Linux

Greg Stark gstark at electrorent.com
Wed Jun 29 16:57:10 PDT 2005

To answer you both,
You've given me some things to think about.
  -- Are you installing on the SAME system you burned the CD? (i.e., same
drive?)
No written on the Sony DVD, the server is a Compaq with a x32.

 -- Are you using "premium" CD's or DVD's or "bargain basement" media?
This may very likely be my problem.  I'm going to get some "premium" CD's
tonight.

 -- Are you using "+" vs. "-" media, and is that media compatible with the
reader?    (sillier errors have happened before...)
Ah,... I never noticed +/-  How do I tell?  What's this about?

 -- Where are you getting this error message?  Is this when you try to boot
with the CD or during the install or what?  How far does the boot get?
Never when I boot, during the install.

 -- Uhhh, did you create a bootable CD or did you just create a CD with a
single file on it?   What program and options did you use?
Used MyDVD Studio Deluxe 6 by Sonic  It has a burn CD from ISO.

 -- Another thing you could do is mount the ISO image and verify it looks
okay.  Can you browse the CD you created and see the various directories or
is it just a single file?
You know I never checked.  I figured the verify was a good check backed up
by the test media at the beginning of the install.

Thank you.

Greg Stark <gstark at electrorent dot com>

> Is there a trick to burning ISO's.  I have downloaded FC4 using bit
torrent.
> Triple checked the SHA1SUM values of each ISO.  I burn the CD and
> verified it after the burn.  I validate the CD prior to install and
> the CD gets a PASS.
>
> When I install I get a ERROR: RETRY or CANCEL. Very frustrating!
>
> It's a Sony DVD R/W CD/DVD.
>
> Greg Stark <gstark at electrorent dot com>

Where are you getting this error message?  Is this when you try to boot with
the CD or during the install or what?  How far does the boot get?

Uhhh, did you create a bootable CD or did you just create a CD with a
single file on it?   What program and options did you use?

Another thing you could do is mount the ISO image and verify it looks okay.
Can you browse the CD you created and see the various directories or is it
just a single file?

> Is there a trick to burning ISO's.[...] I validate ... and the CD gets
> a PASS.
>
> When I install I get a ERROR: RETRY or CANCEL. Very frustrating!
>
> It's a Sony DVD R/W CD/DVD.

 -- Are you installing on the SAME system you burned the CD? (i.e., same
drive?)
    (there may be an alignment difference between drives if not)
    [can other CD's be successfully read start-to-finish when written from
this drive?]

 -- Are you using "premium" CD's or DVD's or "bargain basement" media?
    (you get what you pay for)