[SGVLUG] The Box O' Linux

Ron Quan ronton888 at gmail.com
Wed Jun 29 17:10:38 PDT 2005

I agree with Claude's line of thinking. I did have a cd writer that
would burn seemingly perfect CDs from an ISO image. The cd validation
checked out fine. However, during the install, certain packages would
not be found and the install would ask me if I wanted to skip the
package. Needless to say, the install ended up too many missing
packages and the system would error out loading the kernel or
something like that.

The cd validation on the install cd is near useless for detecting
minor errors. If you can get as far as the install GUI, you can try
switching console screens with ctrl-alt-F1, ctrl-alt-F2, etc until you
get the progress console. I've noticed that cdrom errors can be quite
verbose and repetitive. That's how I traced the issue to the burner
because the ISO checksums were fine and the install cdrom drive was
brand new.