[SGVLUG] Call for webmasters

Emerson, Tom Tom.Emerson at wbconsultant.com
Tue Jun 28 11:48:12 PDT 2005

.NET?

> Currently it works with Mono

hmmm... ok, I'll let that slide... ;)

> and with PostgreSQL, MySQL or SQL Server as database backend.

heh heh heh -- I've been thinking of posting a new message entitled
"please welcome our NEW webmasters" and indicting Duog, Dustin, Claude,
Todd, and now Greg (Jean is already a member ;)

After all, I did say:

and all of you replied with your "suggestions" -- how many of you are
willing to acutally implement your suggestion and maintain it for the
group? :)

FWIW: I do agree with all of your ideas -- yes, multiple people should
be able to manage this with a minimum of fuss; it should be "robust"
yet simple & stable, and so on.

To that end, one package that I've used is movable type, and this
would actually "fit the bill" [and I'm sure many others will as well]
because even though stuff is stored "in a database", that is only
for the preparation & management of "articles" [blog entries or
whatever...]  Once you are ready to "publish", the program creates
static pages [or mostly-static pages; nothing really stops you from
including dynamic features in the resulting web page...]  If you
create the page templates in a "clean" manner, the resulting page(s)
will be easy to edit by hand should the overall database fail (which,
of course, we could replicate to another server "as a backup")

I've also used a Wiki, and I can see how that will help for behind-
the-scenes content [like posting the "how to tell time" slideshow
I presented at the last meeting], but I suspect we would have to
keep a tight lid on who can edit, otherwise we'll get "blogspammed",
so to speak [this happened to my site where the "comments" field was
left "open", and suddenly I became a top advertiser for Pills, Poker
sites, and body-enhancements-that-begin-with-P]